We will NOT be administering covid vaccinations/booster shots at Upper Hutt Health Centre.
A second booster is recommended for those at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19 – a minimum of 6 months after a first booster. For those who are not considered at risk of severe illness from COVID-19, a two-dose primary course and a first booster dose provides very good protection against severe illness from COVID-19 at this time.
People recommended to receive a second booster as a priority
- people aged 65 years and over
- Māori and Pacific peoples aged 50 years and over
- residents of aged care and disability care facilities
- severely immunocompromised people who received a three-dose primary course and a fourth dose as a first booster (noting this would be a fifth dose for these people)
Other people recommended to receive a second booster as a priority
- people aged 16 years and over who have a medical condition that increases the risk of severe breakthrough COVID-19 illness and
- people aged 16 years and over who live with disability with significant or complex health needs or multiple comorbidities.
See Clinical criteria in support of second booster eligibility
In addition, a second booster is available for:
- all people aged 50 years and over
- health, aged care and disability workers aged 30 years and over.
A second booster is not yet needed by younger people who are generally healthy and do not have underlying health conditions. This includes people who are currently healthy and pregnant.
If you are not considered at risk of severe illness from COVID-19, a two-dose primary course and a booster dose provides very good protection against severe illness from COVID-19.
You can book an appointment for a booster dose through Book My Vaccine, or by calling the COVID Vaccination Healthline on 0800 28 29 26 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week).
The Pfizer vaccine remains the preferred COVID-19 vaccine for use in New Zealand, reflecting its excellent safety and effectiveness profile. For adults aged 18 and above who wish to have a different COVID-19 vaccine option, AstraZeneca and Novavax are available as a second booster at least six months after the first booster.